Every year, the MDEAs celebrate medtech innovation by recognising significant achievements in medical product design and engineering that improve the quality of healthcare delivery and accessibility.
In addition to the nine product categories, this year’s MDEAs recognise Best in Show and MD+DI Readers’ Choice honours. Daphne Allen, editor-in-chief of MD+DI, Informa said: “Thanks to the companies and individuals who are committed to designing products that aim to improve the quality of healthcare delivery and accessibility. The advances the medtech industry has seen this year are truly amazing. We are thrilled to honour the organisations and individuals responsible for advancing the field.”
The MDEAs accept entries from companies and individuals involved in the design, engineering, manufacturing, or distribution of finished medical devices. Winners are chosen by a panel of jurors made up of clinicians, engineers, and designers who carefully review all product submissions and narrow them down to a maximum of six finalists in each category. From there, jurors vote whether to award a bronze, silver, and gold award in each category, as well as select an overall best-in-show winner.
Health care will go from general to personal. The “Internet of Things” will connect devices that can support predictive medicine and products that link a patient’s wellness to her lifestyle will go from luxury to necessity. As data becomes more accessible and devices smarter, entrepreneurs are uniquely positioned to connect this new technology to the patient experience. So focus on building a good base of knowledge around data, analytics and tech. Invest in data to get ahead of the curve.
The 2019 MDEA winners include:Digital Health Products and Mobile Medical Apps
- Gold: FreeStyle Libre – Abbott
- Silver: Peerbridge Cor – Peerbridge Health
- Bronze: Pulm Ex – Level Ex
Drug-Delivery and Combination Products:
- Gold: BYDUREON BCise – AstraZeneca
- Silver:clEARdropper – AJB LLC
- Bronze: Eluvia Drug Eluting Vascular Stent – Boston Scientific Corporation
- Gold: The CrossBow Fascial Closure System with Adaptor – Suture Ease.
- Silver: The MOSES Holmium Laser Technology – Lumenis.
- Bronze: The Levita Magnetic Surgical System – Levita Magnetics
- Silver: LithoVue Empower Retrieval Deployment Device – Boston Scientific
Implant and Tissue-Replacement Products
- Gold: Genesys Spine AIS-C Stand Alone System – Genesys Spine
- Silver: EXPEDIUM – DePuy Synthes/J&J Medical Devices Companies
- Bronze: The AiO Block and MDT – United Orthopedic Corporation
- Gold: iLux Device – Tear Film Innovations
- Silver: Ceribell Rapid Response EEG – Ceribell
- Bronze: SkinPen – Bellus Medical
- Gold: Elvie Pump – Elvie
- Silver: Dr. Brown's Specialty Feeding System – Handi-Craft Company
- Bronze: Lumin Bullet – 3B Medical.
- Gold: LessRay – NuVasive
- Silver: Valeda Light Delivery System – LumiThera
- Bronze: The WalterLorenz Surgical Assist Arm – Zimmer Biomet
- Gold: Ceribell Rapid Response EEG – Ceribell
- Silver: Dexcom G6 CGM System – Dexcom
- Bronze: PIVO – Velano Vascular
- Bronze: VENTANA DP 200 – Roche Tissue Diagnostics
Medical 3D printing. If guns and other objects can be printed now and the biotechnology industry is working on printing even living cells; why would the appearance of 3D printed drugs be surprising? It will destroy and re-design the whole pharmaceutical world, but regulation will be a huge challenge as anyone will be able to print any kind of drugs that contain patented molecules at home. Bionic ears and simpler organs will be printed at the patient’s bedside.
Best in Show
- Ceribell Rapid Response EEG – Ceribell
- gammaCore Sapphire – electroCore